Cartersville Woman’s Club

Welcome and thank you for visiting Cartersville Woman’s Club.  We are a member driven non-profit volunteer service organization made up of women of all ages who share a very simple common goal to serve and volunteer within our community.

The Cartersville Woman’s Club was formerly known as the Cherokee Woman’s Club which was originally established in 1893-1895.  The objectives of the Cherokee Woman’s Club, as stated in the Charter, were to establish a library, to promote the Cause of Fellowship, Education and Charity, and all things that went to the betterment of the community.  Judge A.W. Fite granted this charter in September 1895.  The Club became part of the Georgia Federation of Women’s Clubs.

In 1896 the Cherokee Woman’s Club started a library organization.  The City of Cartersville donated a site at Church Street on the Square next to the City all, on which to build the library and their clubhouse. The original club house was planned as a one-story building, but Mr. A.O. Granger donated the material for an upstairs room to be used for the library and the reading room.  The library was name after the daughter of one of the great supporters of the library, Mary Munford.  She died one month after the library was completed.  The Munford Library was stated to be one of the best in Georgia.  Later, Mrs. A.O. Granger later became the 3rd President of GFWC Georgia.

The club continued its mission and in 1928 through 1947 efforts were made during this time to revive the club’s membership.  During this timeframe the clubhouse had fallen into disrepair, funds were raised to refurbish and repair the house, however efforts to reactivate the club were unsuccessful, and the Cherokee Women’s Club became inactive.

In 1940 the Cartersville Service League was organized. This group took over many of the responsibilities of the Cherokee Woman’s Club.  They chose as one of their projects raising funds for the library.  In 1947 the Clubhouse property was offered to the City, but the original Library Charter had not expired, but because the club was originally owned by the Cherokee Women’s Club, the city could not accept it.  In 1961 the Library Charter was granted by Judge Davis and in 1962 the City purchased the Cherokee Clubhouse.

in 1967 the name of the club changed from the Cartersville Service League to Cartersville Woman’s Club.   To learn more about the history of the Cartersville Woman’s Club, please click here.

OUR MISSION –Our overall mission of GFWC Georgia and our club are the same which is to enhance the lives of others in our local communities through volunteer service.  GFWC Georgia and its local clubs and members create global change working on a local level by selecting projects and programs by determining the specific needs of the communities in which they live and work every day.

Our primary purpose is to organize and carry out charitable service programs, provide leadership opportunities, and enrich the lives of its members through personal growth.

Signature Events:

Local Projects/Charities with work with:

To learn more please contact:

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close