Welcome and thank you for visiting GFWC Acworth Carrie Dyer Woman’s Club. We are a member driven non-profit volunteer service organization made up of women of all ages who share a very simple common goal to serve and volunteer within our community. The Club was established in Acworth in 1898 as the Calleopeans, but was renamed in 1901, upon Carrie Dyer’s death, to the Carrie Dyer Reading Club. Later, the club was named The Carrie Dyer Women’s Club. The Club purchased a small white house located on Dallas Street in 1910 and used the building as a clubhouse. It also served as a community center, meeting place for Girl Scouts, and housed the volunteer library.
The Club joined the Georgia Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1908, under the name Carrie Dyer Women’s Club. Still active, the club holds the distinction of being the second-oldest women’s club in Georgia.
The Club operated a library in the home until it joined the Cobb County-Marietta Public Library System in 1963. The new library was constructed a short distance from the house.
Today, the house is a significant landmark in Acworth history. It was sold to a private owner in 2018. The Carrie Dyer Woman’s Club continues to carry on the legacy of living the volunteer spirit.
Our primary purpose is to organize and carry out charitable service programs, provide leadership opportunities, and enrich the lives of its members through personal growth. Because we are a small club, we usually contribute and volunteer with our North West District clubs. As a small club and are always looking for members to join us – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.